How to Protect Yourself Around Negative People
1. Ground yourself, and firm up your boundaries, so you don’t get drawn into their negativity. Otherwise they’ll drain all your energy.
2. Protect yourself. Imagine there’s a bubble separating you from them so they can’t get close and infect you with their mood.
3. Hang out in a group so they can’t target you, or always monopolise the subject and mood.
4. Briefly allow them to have their say so they don’t feel shut out and rejected by you – but only listen for a limited time. Then, do your best to move the conversation on.
5. Stick to light and superficial conversations so it’s harder for them to rant and complain.
6. Cut them out of your life if it’s seems that nothing’s working – as we don’t have to like and be friends with everyone.